The Women’s Institute (WI) was formed in 1915 to revitalise rural communities and to encourage women to become more involved in producing food during the First World War. Since then the organisation’s aims have broadened and the WI is now the largest voluntary women’s organisation in the UK. The WI will celebrate its centenary in 2015 and currently has over 210,000 members in around 6,600 WIs.
The WI plays a unique role in providing women with educational opportunities and the chance to build new skills, to take part in a wide variety of activities and to campaign on issues that matter to them and their communities.
BICKER WOMEN’S INSTITUTE
Was founded in 1935 – 81 years ago “and is still going as strong today”
- We are not just JAM and JERUSALEM
(although we are very proud of our image)
- the WI HAS moved into the 21st century!
- All kinds of ladies join the WI for all sorts of different reasons
* You don’t have to be over 60 years old
* You don’t have to be brilliant at making cakes
* You don’t have to be a florist – painter – good at needlecraft and knitting – or anything else
- if you can do any or all of those things that’s BRILLIANT!
“but it is not compulsory!”
- if you enjoy meeting and making new friends then the WI could be for YOU
- We have FUN and INFORMATIVE meetings each month
- With optional “days out” – “parties” – and get togethers with other WIs
- Our opinion is also very important on issues that effect those less fortunate that ourselves in this country and worldwide
- An Organisation that we are all very proud to be part of
- We are also very proud of Bicker WI and hope it will be going just as strong in another 81 years
- For Bicker WI to continue well into the future, we are looking for new members to come and join us
? would YOU be interested in finding out more?
come and check us out at one of our meetings the 2nd Tuesday of every month (except August) at 7.30 pm in Bicker Village Hall
Mrs Sonia Pallett Vice President. September 2016
Bicker WI Stand at Bicker Steam Threshing Weekend – 10/11 September 2016