Bicker is a small, rural village in the rich, flat, Fenland countryside nine miles south-west of Boston, Lincolnshire. At the 2001 census the parish, an area of about 3,800 acres that includes the hamlet of Hoffleet Stow, was home to 846 people. The settlement originally grew up along the banks of the Old Eau stream. This still follows a tree-lined course through the older part of the village which is a designated conservation area.
Bicker is noted for the beauty of its centre. The architectural historian, Nikolaus Pevsner, described it as “a village of winding tree-lined lanes and small greens”, and admired its “cruciform (cross-shaped) and truly amazing church.” Other buildings of note besides the Norman and later church of St Swithin include: Morley Cottages which may originally date from the 1500s; Ye Olde Red Lion pub (1665); the Manor House of 1774; Foreland Farmhouse and Stable (late C18); Gauntlet House (late C18); Morley House (late C18, C19 and C20) and The Villa of c.1800.
Bicker’s amenities include a Post Office/village shop, a public house (Ye Olde Red Lion), a C of E church, a Methodist chapel and a preparatory school. Several popular clubs, groups and societies flourish in the village. A number of businesses are based here too.
The village is widely known for the annual country fair, Bicker Steam Threshing, held in early September. The centrepiece is the operation of an old threshing machine powered by a traction engine. The event hosts several traction engines, many vintage tractors and other vehicles, displays of country crafts, a steam organ, other displays and stalls.
The parish of Bicker, along with Wigtoft, Sutterton, Algarkirk and Fosdyke, forms the Five Villages Ward of Boston Borough Council. The A52 road used to pass through the edge of the village of Bicker but it now bypasses it. On Bicker Fen is a windfarm of thirteen 2MW turbines.